general high-level discussion about spectrum
* Git server issues?
@ 2021-04-01  8:35 Jamie McClymont
From: Jamie McClymont @ 2021-04-01  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: discuss

Hello,

Cloning the spectrum nixpkgs repo seems to consistently fail, after downloading all the objects, with:

    fetch-pack: unexpected disconnect while reading sideband packet
    fatal: early EOF
    fatal: fetch-pack: invalid index-pack output

Have confirmed this across a couple of networks. Relatedly, the git web interface seems to always 504 Gateway Timeout while a clone is in progress.

I wonder if the git server is configured to only handle one thread/request at a time, and the clone process involves 2 concurrent requests? (either that, or the server is actually overloaded).

fyi, as a workaround: clone nixpkgs from elsewhere, then add the spectrum nixpkgs remote and fetch - it will also be much faster :)

Thanks
- Jamie McClymont

* Re: Git server issues?
@ 2021-04-01 22:49 ` Alyssa Ross